Wednesday 9 March 2011

Cut, bruised and scalded - What a day !

Well, it was frozen when I started, that's my claim.

Repairing an accidentally drilled hole in a heating pipe (not by me) is normally a simple operation, not so with a school heating system.

With no valves installed that could be shut down to stop the flow, and a system big enough to fill a small swimming pool if it was drained, the only answer I could think of was to freeze the pipe, but I knew that even that was hazardous in the prevailing conditions in the area, but it was the only way at the time.

Using copious freezing fluid I overcame the latent heat in the area and it froze, normally, this allows about 15 minutes to operate in, but I planned to top up the freezing fluid well before that.

I had prepared the connections before starting, so proceeded to cut the pipes for the work, Having loosely fitted  the first joint, I was going to top up the fluid when it defrosted and squirted me with warm water, stuffing my thumb over the pipe I stopped it from running and, one handed, completed the first joint, my loosely assembled other connections was then used to stem the flow of now scalding water, a colleague was with me luckily, but could do little to help as there was no working space.

One end located in place I now had to fit the other end - the live and now scalding end - with a pair of pliers to hold the fittings with to give me some isolation from the heat, I let go my thumb from the pipe and immediately the full force of the scalding water flooded free, at the third attempt I rammed the joint in place, this stemmed the main flow but all joints still squirted a spray of near boiling water at me with the result that my hands are well blanched.

After a series of attempts, eventually all joints were sealed, and are now in service thank goodness. My cuts and bruises will heal and my hands will look a bit more normal eventually, I just hope the stinging stops by bed time.

And so ends another day in the annuls of Captain Capable. (got to go now to wash my Lycra shorts and cape  LOL).

No comments:

Post a Comment